Sunday, October 22, 2023

2023-10-22 Sunday - Today's Meditation: A course plotted - is not the journey

 

[Image by Dorothe (aka Darkmoon_Art) from Pixabay.com]

Today's mediation:

A course plotted on a nautical chart - is not the journey.

Information on a map may be superseded by real-world events - or the map may be based on faulty information. Also, you must always consider that your instruments *may* be reporting incorrect data.

During the preparation for a long voyage, some years ago, I studied the historical voyages of others who had sailed the same areas into which I intended to go.

I studied the currents, the underwater geography, the weather patterns.

I made careful notes of areas of possible refuge and safety in which I might seek shelter from gales that might arise during various segments of my planned voyage.

I recorded the GPS coordinates of areas that were reported by other sailors to have good holding, in which to anchor.

After an exhausting passage of some days, I sought refuge in a wide bay - along a desolate section of the Baja coast, for a good night's rest.

As I navigated to the GPS coordinates recorded from another's previous voyage logs, I became concerned that the recommended location seemed to be in some potentially dangerously shallow water - as the swell of the ocean entered the bay and wrapped around and surged toward the area reported to be safe.

From a distance, the swells were a concern, but were not alarming.

As I drew closer - my apprehension and alarm skyrocketed.

I was entering an area that was clearly very dangerous. As the depth became more shallow, the swells grew in height - and became very large breaking waves.

I immediately swung the wheel 180-degrees and headed toward the middle of the bay, and somewhat deeper water - and dropped my anchor - where I had a peaceful night's rest.

The lessons to be learned:

- A voyage plan is just a plan. You must be agile and adaptable.

- The same goes for business plans, product plans, and project plans.

- From the Rules of Meeks: Rule #1 applies, always.

- If you are doing something that isn't working - don't be rigid in your thinking - be willing to embrace the pivot.

- There are always signs - you must be open to reading them.

- Awareness and adaptability are more powerful than blind optimism.

- Stubborn denial and refusal to accept new information - and insistence on maintaining a course - can result in disaster.



No comments:

Copyright

© 2001-2021 International Technology Ventures, Inc., All Rights Reserved.